Pages

Sunday, November 2, 2014

Italian Cruise Line


One of the many reasons why I take my kids on cruises is because it is so dang cheap.  Once you combine the food the lodging and the transportation it cuts thousands of dollars off of a trip to do it as a cruise.  Of course this isn’t the case with every cruise and every cruise ship.  You have to be willing to go cheap.  You can’t get much cheaper than a repositioning cruise with an Italian cruise ship.  The food isn’t great and the reviews of this ship all say things like “faded ship”.  But I come from a backpacking dirt poor travel background…so any cruise ship is a huge step up from my usual hotel of questionable repute and bread from local bakery.  With those goggles on, this place is a freek’n wonderland. 


Still, it is bottom of the barrel in cruising world.  So I’m surprised at how classy it is.  Each deck is named for a famous opera and each night we have an opera singer perform to a packed audience.  Opera is different in Italy.  Everyone goes and everyone loves it.  So I guess it seeps into the vernacular. 

Ballroom dancing is the theme of each day’s activities.  Today we will learn the Bassa Nova, Cha Cha and the twist.  Then at 10:30 we will “practice what we learned!”.  There are far more women than men and I am usually dance partners with Pearl a 72 year old Asian lady from South Africa. 

The people who have the most fun on the ship are definitely Asian.  Every activity is almost always me and 10 old Asian ladies.  The Europeans seems to spend most of their time by the pool in various stages of naked.  Topless sunbathing has stopped shocking me because of the naked and just shocks me because of skin cancer “Really,” I want to say…”do you have any idea what you are doing to yourself? Cover up woman, stop with the baby oil and grab some sunscreen”  But they are easily 20 years older than me and I have absolutely no authority over anyone.  So I walk by and distract my 11 year old son by something happening “over there”.  

No comments:

Post a Comment