It was our last Sunday on the island we leave on Saturday for Europe and then off to the mainland. Church was over. Some kids were even beginning to leave when my family was asked to come to the front of the congregation. We walked up a little awkwardly and were pointed to the area right behind the pulpit. The congregation rose and started to sing "Aloha Oe".
They are good singers in this ward-- really amazing actually. And they sing loud and in Hawaiian. I didn't know the translation until I got home and looked it up. I'm glad I didn't know, I would have sobbed all the more. The song was written by Hawaii's queen who was leaving her island. The chores goes...
When the second verse started a line of people came up with leis to hug us and to wish us well on our trip. I sobbed. But I guess you already knew that. You don't know what it means to be hugged until you have been hugged by Hawaiians. I feel awkward about shows of emotion. I hate good byes more than the average person. And yet I loved the Aloha Oe farewell.
When I leave a place I prefer not to make a big deal. If it is at all possible I slip out. If I'm forced into a farewell scenario I will downplay the parting "Oh I'm sure you will be in Utah soon...I'll see you then." But, 99% of the time, I never do see them again.
I realized, looking out at the now-blurry congregation that I would likely never see most of them again. Suddenly it wasn't just them I was saying good bye to. It was everyone and everywhere we have been and all of the places we will be. I was reminded of a quote from Les Miserables "To travel is to be born and die at every instant"
But what is great about the Aloha Oe song is sings the praises of leaving something that will stay with you no matter what.
So the Lymans are leaving again. Our stuff is almost all packed and we will soon be on planes that will whisk us literally half way around the world. I've got no right to use the Queen's words. I was a visitor for a few months and this was her homeland. But I get it. I really do.
"Sweet memories come back to me, bringing fresh remembrances of the past..true love shall never depart"
They are good singers in this ward-- really amazing actually. And they sing loud and in Hawaiian. I didn't know the translation until I got home and looked it up. I'm glad I didn't know, I would have sobbed all the more. The song was written by Hawaii's queen who was leaving her island. The chores goes...
| Farewell to thee, farewell to thee | |
| E ke onaona noho i ka lipo | The charming one who dwells in the shaded bowers |
| One fond embrace, | One fond embrace, |
| A hoʻi aʻe au | 'Ere I depart |
| Until we meet again | Until we meet again |
| ʻO ka haliʻa aloha i hiki mai | Sweet memories come back to me |
| Ke hone aʻe nei i | Bringing fresh remembrances |
| Kuʻu manawa | Of the past |
| ʻO ʻoe nō kaʻu ipo aloha | Dearest one, yes, you are mine own |
| A loko e hana nei | From you, true love shall never depart |
When the second verse started a line of people came up with leis to hug us and to wish us well on our trip. I sobbed. But I guess you already knew that. You don't know what it means to be hugged until you have been hugged by Hawaiians. I feel awkward about shows of emotion. I hate good byes more than the average person. And yet I loved the Aloha Oe farewell.
When I leave a place I prefer not to make a big deal. If it is at all possible I slip out. If I'm forced into a farewell scenario I will downplay the parting "Oh I'm sure you will be in Utah soon...I'll see you then." But, 99% of the time, I never do see them again.
I realized, looking out at the now-blurry congregation that I would likely never see most of them again. Suddenly it wasn't just them I was saying good bye to. It was everyone and everywhere we have been and all of the places we will be. I was reminded of a quote from Les Miserables "To travel is to be born and die at every instant"
But what is great about the Aloha Oe song is sings the praises of leaving something that will stay with you no matter what.
So the Lymans are leaving again. Our stuff is almost all packed and we will soon be on planes that will whisk us literally half way around the world. I've got no right to use the Queen's words. I was a visitor for a few months and this was her homeland. But I get it. I really do.
"Sweet memories come back to me, bringing fresh remembrances of the past..true love shall never depart"
No comments:
Post a Comment