Pages

Monday, March 31, 2014

Taj Mahal

The Taj is chaulk full of hype.  You see it on coasters and shirts and magnets.  It is a cliche of the very worst sort.  By the time you get to the Taj you really should hate it.  And honestly I expected to be "meh" but when I walked through the dark gate and saw the cloud like taj glowing I was struck.
The taj was built by a mongul king for his wife.  She died bearing her 14th child and he grieved her.  Grief is odd.  Like love you want to do something with it.  You want to show or cry or run.  Or, if you are the self proclaimed "Ruler of the World" you build a Taj Mahal. The etchings you see are inlaid precious and semiprecious stones.
\
If you view the Taj by full moon it literally glows.  It is a thing of beauty.  It is both simple and grand.  It is more of a work of art than a building.  



The Red Fort
If the red fort were anywhere but Agra you would have heard of it.  It is made of red sandstone and is filled with palaces rich and fantastic.  

The harem room looks over to the Taj
Afterward we went to visit a store...with the guise of a lesson on how the Taj was made.  I didn't mind one bit as they gave me a diet coke



No comments:

Post a Comment