Pages

Saturday, February 28, 2015

Florida

Everything we own in packed up in the RAV4.  Sam is still asleep but Eden is beginning to stir.  We will head out soon.  I'm grateful we are driving.  It is so much less stressful than catching a flight.  We will leave when we leave and there isn't really a rush.  We only have six hours to drive today according to my GPS.  It isn't far but it seems as far as a plane flight across the ocean.

Last night our amazing Kissimee friends threw us a farewell waffle party.  Eden had insisted on BFF bracelets for her two friends and they exchanged tearful farewells.  Sam had bought a new Nerf gun and fired a farewell parting shot at his friend out of the open window as we drove away.  We are going to miss being here.  We made real friends that I somehow hope we will always keep.  I find this in most of the places I go.  I try to figure out a way to not make the goodbye permanent.  But part of me knows it is or at least could be.

Florida was our break.  After Europe we just needed a little time to get caught up on school and work and to just have a normal day to day.  Oh yeah...and to do so many theme parks we sang "its a small world" in our sleep.

We spent the first week at Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge.  At one point my mom asked me "Is this like real Africa?" to which I responded "I don't remember room service" The kids spent every day for a week at various Disney induced spasms of joy hosted by Grandparents who didn't have the same moral hang ups about over-priced things.  I spent every day in a conference center attending work meetings.

In many ways I enjoyed my meetings as much as I would have liked Disney world.  This is because a)I love my job and b)I'm not really huge on Disney.  Just the same, I was grateful when one night they let us out early from meetings and gave us passes to the park.

I watched the fireworks explode around us while Disney music played and I thought "Man I like sentimentality...a lot."  Needless to say, I spend most of my time in Disney places trying not to cry at every little princess-dressed youngster.   It is just so. darn. cute.

After that first week at Disney we buckled down.  By which I mean we moved to a resort with a seven story waterslide, lazy river and game room.  This provided a nice view for my kids to look at while they did school work.  I'm kidding of course.  I let them go to the water park.  Twice.

People sometimes ask me how I can home school while working full time.  It really isn't that hard.  It just requires a little creativity and schedule management.  My kids are smart little bunnies and they can tackle lots of stuff with very little prodding.  We spend lots of time sitting around the kitchen table working on our respective projects.  We do the hard stuff on the weekends when I'm not working and sometimes we need to have a few evening school sessions.

Sam is up now and Eden has flopped herself on my lap and is watching me type this.  We should get on the road.  Next stop Charleston SC.

2 comments: