Pages

Monday, January 2, 2017

Ringing in the New Year with a Vomit Bucket

I've been sick before.  I travel enough to be more than a little familiar with all sorts of ills.  So believe me when I say, food poisoning is no fun.  None.  If anyone ever asks to through you a food poisoning party just stop that train.  You don't want it.

Eden and I both got ill.  Sam, who skipped the questionable pizza, was unscathed.  It was new years and I had the new years plan of my spirit age (roughly 78).  I was going to eat a lot and then go to bed at a reasonable hour (aka 10).  Then Eden erupted in vomit.  Then I followed suit.  Then we tag team vomited for roughly a million hours.  Somewhere during the night from hell, I was laying on the floor in my bathroom and thinking a) why is my body trying to kill me and b)  I wish I had another person here.

Because as awful as having food poisoning is, having it as a single mom is worse.  Like waaaaaaay worse.  Because I couldn't just lay on the floor and moan.  I had to get up.  I had to go clean up and help my vomiting daughter.  You can't lean over to your non-vomiting spouse and say "this one is yours babe".

But of you have to be a single parent.  Be one with the allies I have.  My parents and parents-in-law are full of amazing.  And don't even get me started on my neighbors who will carry heavy couches with a moments notice.  I live a life surrounded by kind people.  But there are somethings (like 2 a.m. vomit clean up) that just belong to the grown up of the household.  And that one is me.

So I pulled myself off the floor and held Eden's hair while she vomited.  Then I rinsed out her vomit bowl, just in time for me to vomit again. And then I did it again.  It wasn't super dramatic.  But it was quite possibly the bravest I have ever been.  When they do a movie of my life this part is going to have Lord of the Rings level swells of music in the background.  And maybe some editing...no one should see that much vomit.  No one.

Many single parents have it so much harder than I do.  And my night of the living horror made me want to hug every single one of them.  Thanks for what you do guys.  It isn't easy.  And you do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment