Pages

Saturday, July 5, 2014

Friends We Leave

People in Florida are amazingly friendly.  I think because everyone here is from somewhere else we are all strangers together.  At the pool of our condo complex I have met people from Jamaica, Germany, Puerto Rico, Colombia, Peru, Italy and Kentucky.  They have all been so kind.  We have been lucky in the short weeks we have been here to meet some very real friends. It is hard to leave everyone and move on.  To quote Victor Hugo

"What is more melancholy and more profound than to see a thousand objects for the first and the last time?  To travel is to be born and to die at every instant"

Eden is a particularly sentimental kid (takes after her mom) and cries to leave Florida the way she cried to leave Sandy.  I reassure her as best I can.  Friends are friends forever (thank you facebook).  I hope that in the course of this trip she starts to look forward at these transition points.  We have so many new things to see and do.  Sam, is more excited.  He takes the transitions

in stride.  I'm so grateful that he doesn't lord his comfort over Eden but instead works hard to help her feel better.  I really have remarkably kind kids.

We had an awards dinner at Golden Corral.  Everyone made a award our of food for everyone else.  I gave Eden the Swimmer Award (soup with a little Eden in it) and Sam gave me the hot tub award (strawberry in a taco salad bowl).


Friday we leave for Salt Lake.  I have a week of meetings for work and then we go up to Washington state to stay at a cabin in the woods for four weeks.  We will trade in our swim suits for hiking boots.  We will make dams and play with the neighbor's dog.    Eden has a friend there already from last summer.  Her name is Emma and she lives just down the road from us.  Sam has saved up enough money to buy an honest to goodness hatchet to chop stuff with.  We have every reason to believe that Washington will be as amazing as Florida has been.  But it is still hard to leave.


No comments:

Post a Comment