Pages

Friday, June 10, 2016

And my mother dwelt in a tent



My son has the best Scout leaders ever.  They will be canonized and deified and made the next captain of the Star Ship Enterprise.  Every stinking month they take my son camping.  Let that sink in for a while.  Go ahead.  I'll wait.

Yeah.

Kind of amazing right?

I'm grateful.  Truly truly I am.  But the downside is, Sam now loves camping.  And so Eden loves camping.  So I need to take them camping.

I used to go camping all the time.  My parents had five kids and two humanities professor salaries and we never ever stayed in a hotel.  Ever.  But I haven't camped in decades.  Except for a failed trip on the PCT.

But this summer is the summer of camping.  I'm going to learn how to cook dutch oven.  I'm going to set up a tent and make fires.  And...I'm going to love it.



We are at Mesa Verde right now.  I spent my day looking at adobe houses that people built on cliffs.   They scaled these cliffs.  And then made a house out of rock and clay and their own pee.  These people were bow-down-to-you tough.

So it's not that I'm feeling inferior or anything.  But it took me three tries to boil water over a propane stove tonight.  And my tent, that I built with my own credit card at Costco, may or may not fall down on my tonight.  We shall see.

I hope the ancient pueblo Indians spirits are floating around near by.  Because it must be hilarious.  I have the internet by the way.  Yeah.  I have wifi in the campground.  But no cell service.  So... I'm pretty much pueblo cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment