Pages

Wednesday, June 8, 2016

So...what have you been up to this decade?

You know how you can't really tell if a tree has grown after a week?  Even a year...really you can't really tell.  But leave that sucker alone for 9 years and you will see some serious differences.  All week I have been meeting friends that I haven't seen in almost a decade.  And because I am both socially awkward and nosy, I have been asking one question to each of them.  What is the best thing that happened to you in the past nine years?
The answers vary.  Most of them cite family or a cool trip.  One said "I learned how to let go of all of the expectations people have about my life".  And sometimes they ask me the same question.  And I don't really have an answer.  I try to evade.  But I know some stuff I didn't know when I was 28 and packing the UHaul up to go to Utah.

I know I can take care of a dying man.
I know I can bury a husband and father and live with what comes next.
I know I can take my children literally around the world. Alone.
I know I can write a dissertation and defend it.

These were not super easy to learn.  And I am humbled and grateful that I know them now.
The number and type of bridges I have crossed in the nine years since I saw these wonderful friends are huge and many.  And I'm sure my friends have just as many lessons weather they want to tell me about them or not.  It is comforting to me that we are all of us learning and growing.  Like maybe I'm not stuck here at the 38 year old self.  Maybe at 48 I'll be so much better.  I kind of hope so.  

No comments:

Post a Comment