To find were we live put your finger on Hilo, now go south and a little bit west. Did you find that end of the road? Yep. That is us. We live in a jungle with volcanic rock for ground. It is hot in that jungle-hot kind of way. You know, the kind of hot that involves lots of bugs and rain. Every morning I try to beet my kids into the bathrooms so I can kill all of the bugs before they wake up. Some of my monkeys are a little freaked out by bugs. We live in a community that was clearly made by hippies for hippies. The local playground has a yin yag symbol on it and old women without bras bike around sometimes singing 60s rock. It is so different from our Oahu apartment I'm still having a bit of a time processing it.
We don't have air conditioning. No one here does. Electricity is pretty pricey so I guess we just go without. So I've busted out some of my Tanzania skilz. Cold showers before bed, cross ventilate the heck out of the house and, oh yeah, try not to be in the house. This outdoor living works wonders for meeting the neighbors. We are all living on our patios so we can all see each other most of the time.
We have a great patio with two tables, a comfy couch and a host of chairs. The amazing thing is...no mosquitoes. None. I can't figure this one out. We have all of the elements for a total bug fest. And yet...here we are bite free.
We don't have air conditioning. No one here does. Electricity is pretty pricey so I guess we just go without. So I've busted out some of my Tanzania skilz. Cold showers before bed, cross ventilate the heck out of the house and, oh yeah, try not to be in the house. This outdoor living works wonders for meeting the neighbors. We are all living on our patios so we can all see each other most of the time.
We have a great patio with two tables, a comfy couch and a host of chairs. The amazing thing is...no mosquitoes. None. I can't figure this one out. We have all of the elements for a total bug fest. And yet...here we are bite free.
No comments:
Post a Comment