Pages

Tuesday, September 16, 2014

That Blog Post

We all knew this was coming.  Whenever someone has a blog there come a point where they start writing more "I'm sorry I didn't write" posts and less actual content.  What is strange is I have had plenty to write about.  I even write it out in my head sometimes.  I just don't actually write it.  Then the things that I meant to write keep me from writing anything at all.  When I get like this I know I need to do one thing...write something even if, and especially if, it is bad.

The nice thing about this huge gap is it gives me the chance to be summative about my time here on Oahu.  We can cut directly to the lessons learned part of the program.

Oahu meant a bunch of us got sick.  I had a nasty flu Eden had a nasty flu Sam had an awful cough and stomach bug.  Eden had an abscessed tooth that had to be removed.  None of these are fun when you are in your own home.  But toss in a new place and the whole thing can be pretty stressful.

Eden's Tooth Turns Evil
We had a goal in Oahu to only eat whole foods--nothing processed.  This all worked out fine and dandy.  Until I got sick.  Then I bought everything in the frozen food section, dropped it in front of my kids then staggered off to bed.




I've become (in the very loosest sense of the word) a surfer.  There is a great surf beach about five min from our house and most days I rented a board and fell off of it.  My claim to being a surfer has more to do with passion than with ability.  I love surfing.  I think about it often, I do push ups so I can stay out longer before my arms get sissy.  I love how it feels to sit on your board in the middle of the ocean and watch for waves.  I love how it feels when the wave suddenly has you.  I love the combination of yoga calm and terror when you start moving with the wave.  If you haven't ever surfed you really should.


Oahu has meant really early mornings.  I start work at 2 am often and always by 4.  I really have liked this part of the trip.  I have seen almost every sunrise since we have been here.  We have an amazing view from our apartment and you can smell the flowing trees an hear the birds better in the morning than at any other time.  This also means that I finally have an excuse to go to bed at 8.  I'm living my old-lady schedule I've always dreamed about!
I usually see the sunrise from my office


So there you have it.  It has been one heck of a month.


No comments:

Post a Comment