Today, after work we drove out to a art museum. My kids hate museums and art is of the very least favorite. I have literally had to drag them screaming through art museums before (Vatican city 2011 Eden melted down right outside of the Sistine chapel. She sat on the floor and screamed "I HATE ART!!!!).
So I braced myself for the worst and set some pretty serious expectations. I reminded them that I was their teacher for the next year and we are going to learn things, not to be entertained. We listened to a 20 minute pod cast about Salvador Dali on the drive down that increased my knowledge about Mr. Dali by about 600%. The kids slept through the whole thing. Yeah. I'm that kind of homeschooling mom
 |
| The audio tour was hilarious and interesting |
 |
| Or maybe they just loved the giant mustache you could pose with. |
We arrived at the museum well rested, if not knowledgeable. The museum was roughly the same square footage as the gift shop. Due to my new-found smugness about Dali, I explained to my kids how fitting this was for such a commercial artist. Here is were things got weird. My kids loved the art. They listened to the entire audio tour. They leaned in to the paintings to see details and they didn't once ask for anything in the gift shop. Really this might have been my best moment as a parent ever. And look I have the smiling children to prove it! I think it has a lot to do with them growing up. Like most of my parenting wins, it has a lot more to do with how awesome my kids are an less what sort of parenting techniques I used. Just the same...I take em when I can get em.
Your kids look so much like you and Jared. And that museum looks sweet. Are you homeschooling through the summer?
ReplyDeleteYep...we are homeschooling for the year. I'm doing a little trial run over the summer. We aren't doing all of the curriculum for the summer but it is fun to try it out. I think we will just do the K12 curriculum during the actual school year.
ReplyDeleteNailed it. Nailed. It.
ReplyDelete