Pages

Saturday, June 21, 2014

Everglades

Today we drove four hours to the Everglades.  It was a long trip and along the way we listened to the Jungle Book.  Basically Mowgli (the little man cub) has a great time doing stuff in the Jungle and whooping on the tiger.  

After a long drive there is one thing my kids long to do...and that it learn things at a museum!  Oh wait.  No.  That is not even remotely true.  But using the magic of my new found inner "teacher mom"  I gave them an assignment to learn about one animal that we would see while in the Everglades.  We then recorded the presentation they gave.  Eden had Manatees and Sam did Alligators.  I really didn't think we would see either.  This is not the season to see the Everglades.  It is too wet and the alligators generally are too spread out.  So how fun was it to see this fellow at our first hike.


According the the ranger talk we heard the alligators are scared of us.  I don't think that is true.  Nope.  I'm pretty sure they just want to eat us.
It rained.  And I learned another use for a scarf, to wrap your camera in during torrential deluges so you can capture the misery of your children
Then the sky got clear and we drove to the next pond where there were 30 vultures waiting to great us
Eden had her doubts about the vultures but wanted a shot with them.  We saw a huge alligator enter the water.  He also didn't look scared of us.

Our Fearless Beetle!
\
We drove out to the marina with the intent of taking a boat tour.  We didn't make it further than 10 feet before I was swarmed by mosquitoes.  I was inhaling them and every swat of my arms left a dozen bloody spots.  I was coated in 25% Deet.  But the mosquitoes didn't care.  
So we scratched the boat tour and decided to go with a return to the visitors center.  Eden was sworn in as the newest Jr. Ranger

So I think the Jungle Book in real life would have run something more like this "AAAAAGG" said Mowgli, "The MOSQUITOS are killing me!!"  And then SheerKhan (who is certainly NOT scared of Mowgli) would eat him.  Nature really can do us in if it wants to.


1 comment:

  1. Hahahahaha!!! I laughed out loud! I like your narration of Jungle Book :) You are an awesome mom.

    ReplyDelete