Florida is hot. Not, New-Mexico hot, but inside-of-a-dog's-mouth hot. And I love it. No one worries about doing hair or make up. It will all be gone in a moment anyway. We don't bring towels to the swimming pool because who in their right mind would want to wipe off cool water? The heat makes me feel like I'm constantly in a sauna that someone just poured water in. My muscles are relaxed, I feel a little drowsy and nothing seems quite as important as it usually does.
I'm convinced heat makes people more sociable. Shade is a precious commodity. People will hang out under a tree who would not usually get that close to one another. I've had so many "shade conversations" since I came here. They all sort of have an air of "buddies in a life boat". Cold isn't like that. One part of a playground is just as cold as another. And so people bundle up and ignore.
Granted, I'm incredibly spoiled. From my air conditioned bedroom right now I can see a lawn care worker leaning on his rake with a orange bandanna under his hat. His back is turned toward me but every few seconds his arm goes up to wipe his face. I'm not in the heat as often as this guy is so I can enjoy it. I suspect he has a different opinion on the topic.
I'm convinced heat makes people more sociable. Shade is a precious commodity. People will hang out under a tree who would not usually get that close to one another. I've had so many "shade conversations" since I came here. They all sort of have an air of "buddies in a life boat". Cold isn't like that. One part of a playground is just as cold as another. And so people bundle up and ignore.
Granted, I'm incredibly spoiled. From my air conditioned bedroom right now I can see a lawn care worker leaning on his rake with a orange bandanna under his hat. His back is turned toward me but every few seconds his arm goes up to wipe his face. I'm not in the heat as often as this guy is so I can enjoy it. I suspect he has a different opinion on the topic.
No comments:
Post a Comment