Pages

Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Fixing Problems that Can Be Fixed


This morning I woke lazily up and thought “What the heck, I’ll check our flight tomorrow”  So I looked up our cheep Asian Airline (whose slogan on the English language website read “We take you from the I miss you place to the place of hello” inspiring much confidence).  They had changed the flight time of our trip to Shanghai.  I booked the flight months in advance so I guess it isn't surprising that something could happen.  But still…a little warning would have been nice.  

They would now depart one hour earlier--generally not a problem.  But we were arriving only an hour and 30 min leaving us a now 30 min to disembark, get to our next airplane, and board.  I thought about trying for it.  Then I remembered I was flying Hawaiian Air and I immediately panicked.  They are kind of loose about takeoff and landing times from my experience. 

  It was impossible to catch the new plane especially since I couldn't pre-check the second flight (as our airline puts it “If you travel with youngsters below 12 years you much check in at the terminal”).  That means I may need to get my ticket at the main gate….yep none of this was going to happen in 30 min.

So I panicked.  I berated myself for cutting it so close in the first place.  I called the airlines to confirm the time change and they read the exact scream I was looking at.  “UGGG” I barked “What’s wrong mom?” Sam asked wondering why his mom was suddenly crazy.  “There is a problem and it will take a lot of money to fix it”  “Isn't that why we save money?  So we can have it fix problems for us?” 

I paused in my frantic breakdown and looked up at my uncommonly wise son.  Right.  That is exactly why we save money.  There are problems money can fix and this is one of them.  So I booked some tickets found a  hotel and maneuvered through the changes that were necessary. 
I’m not saying I liked spending money on those things.  But Sam’s comment put it all in perspective.  It is a problem money can fix than it likely isn't as bad as problems come. 

No comments:

Post a Comment