Pages

Saturday, October 18, 2014

Hurricane's Not A Com'n

It all started with this little bend in the hurricane path.
The hurricane's path changed

What had been shaping up to be an epic natural disaster became a rainstorm and frankly not much of a rainstorm at that.  Sam took it the hardest.  "Natural disasters are the coolest thing ever why can't we get a hurricane?" Then, he looked up at the grey sky that was  misting a little bit  and yelled, "It's like you aren't even trying!"
We were hoping for a few more flying cows


I get the disappointment.  I also understand the let down.  Going into emergency mode is, as odd as this sounds, can be peaceful.  I remember this when Jared was sick.  All week long I would negotiate work, school, kids, homework, housework, yard work and Jared's illness.  But every so often Jared would get really sick and we would go to the hospital.  I am a little controlling and I never felt safe leaving Jared alone in the hospital.  So I would pack up my stuff and sleep in his room.  In emergency mode everything else just disappears.  Suddenly there was just Jared.  As stressful as it was, it was peaceful.  Everything went into the one effort.  Nothing else mattered.

The hurricane felt a little like that.  Suddenly all of those big meetings that were happening next week just disappeared off the radar.  There was this weird realization, if I couldn't go to work...it just didn't matter.  The projects and negotiations and meetings that are all a part of my day to day at work just melted away.  And I was left with ensuring the safety of my little family.  As stressful as that is, it is also easy.  We bought some stuff and I ran through a few emergency scenarios and I felt like I was the best mom ever.  It was like looking at your life through one of those portrait lenses.  The kids were in focus but the background became so fuzzy you couldn't even see it.


So we are back in regular lens mode now.  Kids need to get school work done.  I have a few work projects that need a little TLC.  Laundry needs to be done.  The sink has dishes piled in it.  And I guess it is okay if I get a little wistful walking past the hurricane room with it's head-lamp flashlights and board games.

1 comment:

  1. That's why I secretly like getting sick. All of those things I thought I HAD to do, I realize I don't really need to do.

    ReplyDelete