Pages

Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Things You Don't Do When You Travel All the Time

Ever since my post of my lack of clothing I've been thinking about all of the things I don't do now that I am traveling all the time.

1. Yard work.  I'm currently sitting in  a lovely backyard with palm trees edging it.  Later today the landlord is coming over to mow the lawn.  But I haven't touched a lawn mower in four months.

2. Housework.  I keep our home reasonably squallier free.  Dishes are washed, garbage is taken out and I even sweep and vacuum about twice a month.  But at the end of the month someone will come in and scrub the place down and I will be off enjoying a different location.

3. Shopping.  We buy groceries once a week.  And that is really it.  We don't have room to bring anything so we have stopped buying things that we don't use up.

4. Worry about what people think of me.  You know how old ladies get a bit of a carte blanche?  Being a transient is a bit like that.  I try to be nice because that is what I want to be.  But I don't spend a lot of time thinking "oh did so and so dislike it when I said that?"

5. People don't worry about what I think of them.  At each stop I've had multiple people bring me their worst stories.  They cry and wonder why they are telling me all of this.  I think it because I'm pretty safe.  I'm not a part of their day to day.  So they can trust that I won't blab or judge and, any way, I leave in a few weeks.

I like this life.  It is both really juvenile and really grown up all at once.  It is incredibly exhausting (I spent 6 hours yesterday buying 8 plane tickets three train tickets in five countries) and detail oriented.  But it is also a little devil-may-care.  I'm lucky to have this chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment