Pages

Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Solar Power


I used to have utility bills.  I remember the little green and blue envelope that came telling me how much water I used and how much electricity I used.  Each month I would be really good at turning off lights for a day or so after the bill and then I would forget about it.


People don’t do that here.  For one thing electricity is about 10 xs more expensive than on the mainland. And for another, so many people are on solar power.  One of my friends here has an amazing solar system.  She was kind enough to give me a tour.  I remember learning watts  and volts and it seemed like Ohms were somehow involved…but most of what she said went over my head. 


But it was amazing to see electricity get made.  You can crazy MAKE your own electricity.  “Hey Ma pass me that electron”  Seriously.  A little magic.  And when you make your own electricity you think about it all the time.  In her kitchen she has a volt meter that tells her the status of her batteries.  If they are in “float” mode then she can go crazy and blend things while she does the laundry.  But if it sinks down then it is time to either crank up the generator or go to bed.  

She knew the electrical requirements of every device in her house.  She doesn't have a crock pot because they take up too much electricity.  I had no idea crock pots were so wanton.  I got this weird feeling while I was talking to here that her electricity was like fancy “organic” electricity.  Pricey and homemade and therefore worthy of a large part of her brain.  

But honestly it is likely the other way.  The electricity she makes doesn't hurt anyone.  I don’t think you can get greener than solar.  The electricity that I burn without thinking constantly is the expensive one.  Even on the best days electricity in my house in Salt Lake is destroying coal and polluting the air and I don’t even think about it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment