Pages

Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Dependence Day

Today I went running, like I do most mornings.  And while viewing yet another amazing Hawaii sunrise I thought to myself "I can run on lava rock.  What the heck.  It may be a little loose but then I can watch the waves and see the sunset all at once."  I took three steps and then the loose pile of cinders shifted under me and I went into the weird slow motion where your arms flail and you body twists.  I ended up laying on the very sharp a a lava with cuts and an ankle that was already swelling.

I'm independent.  Scratch that.  I am an egotistical maniac who believes that I am the ONLY one qualified to do everything.
 I want to do things for myself and for my family.  But sometimes I can't.

So lets go back to me sitting on the lava. I pulled myself to standing trying hard not to bump against any more rocks than needed.  I tested my ankle.  It hurt but not too bad. Given my completely irrational belief that I can probably do anything, I started to walk the mile home.
Ace bandage 50 min away

I love how our bodies have this cool adrenaline rush when we first get hurt.  I totally could have gotten away from a bear (well...a really slow bear...who was also crippled).  I made it about half a mile and then my ankle just wouldn't let me walk any further.  No matter how much I wanted to walk home on my own I couldn't.  So I stuck out my thumb and asked the driver to give me a ride in the opposite direction he was going.  I've never hitchhiked before but I'm pretty sure this isn't generally how it is done--still the driver was nice so it worked out.

He was an old farmer on his way out to his banana farm.   He told me he wasn't in any rush and he could take me home.  As I slammed his white truck door closed he looked at my cut up hand and said "you really shouldn't run on the lava"  Yeah...learned that.

I got home and found my long sleeved shirt that has a little spring to it.  The closest ace bandage is 50 min away so I wrapped my foot in the shirt.  Sam thought I looked like a leper.  But it really felt so much better to have it wrapped.

We leave for China on Sunday.  So I have five days to get better. This means I will need to hold still in bed with my foot elevated taking my Ibuprofen and ice until I heal.  I simply have to walk for the trip.  So that means I need to rely on my 7 and 11 year old.

And you know what, they are doing pretty darn great.  Eden brought me breakfast.  Sam helped Eden make lunch.  I just sent them both upstairs to take a nap.  Judging from the amount of giggling going on up there, that doesn't seem to be working.  But still two out of three ain't bad.

I'm declaring today my dependence day.  I will ask other people to do things for me.  My son will make dinner.  My daughter will clean.  And I will hold very still.


2 comments:

  1. You poor thing! You definitely want to feel better for China. Not only is it awesome, but it is horribly handicap-inaccessible. Tiananmen Square feels ten-times larger on crutches. :p

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your darn feet!! Wish I was there to help, but glad to hear that your super cool kids are stepping up. Ice, ice baby.

    ReplyDelete